College of Ag Alumni Awards
Recognize Two in RNR
Anna Claire Ferchaud, left, received the K.C. Toups Memorial Les Voyageurs Award, and Mike Kaller, right, received the LSU College of Agriculture Alumni Association’s Early Career Outstanding Aumni Award. They are pictured with Allen Rutherford, head of the School of Renewable Natural Resources. Ferchaud is a senior in the school, and Kaller is an associate professor in the school. (Photo by Tobie Blanchard)
LSU College of Agriculture alumni group holds spring awards ceremony.
The LSU College of Agriculture Alumni Association recognized outstanding alumni, faculty and students at a ceremony on Friday, April 24, at The Club at Union Square on the LSU campus.
The event served as a spring gathering of alumni and friends of the LSU College of Agriculture, according to Luke Laborde, president of the association.
More details about the awards ceremonoy and all of the recipients are available from the LSU Agcenter Headline News page.
Congratulations to Anna Claire and Dr. Kaller!
2015 Alumni Hall of Fame Announced
The annual Homecoming for the School was held on Saturday, 25 April 2015. Three new inductess to the LSU Forestry, Wildlife, & Fisheries Hall of Fame were celebrated. They are: Dr. H. Michael "Mike" Barnes (BSF 1965, MS Forest Products Technology 1968), Dr. James Barnett, and Dr. Robert Chabreck (BSF 1956, MS Game Management 1957).
Details on the lives and careers of the newest inductees are avialble on the 2015 Hall of Fame page. Previously inducted member profiles can be accessed from our Hall of Fame page. Photos from the Homecoming and the crawfish boil are now available on our Gallery page.
2015 Wood Award Goes to RNR Student
Kunlin Song, a Ph.D. student in Dr. Qinglin Wu’s laboratory won the 2nd Place for the 2015 Wood Award given by the Forest Products Society. His winning paper is entitled “Fabricating Electrospun Porous Carbon Nanofibers with Antimicrobial Capability: A Facile Route to Recycle Biomass Tar.”
The Wood Awards are intended to recognize and honor outstanding research conducted by graduate students in the field of wood and wood products. This award is the most prestigious in the area of graduate research and the winners of this award have, without exception, gone on after graduation to exemplary careers in industry, education, and research. To honor his achievement Mr. Song received a plaque, a $500 award, and a complimentary registration to the International Convention in Atlanta, Georgia in June. The award will be presented at the Forest Products Society Awards Luncheon on Thursday, June 11th at the Georgia World Congress Center.
Congratulations to Mr. Song on a job well done.
Monsanto, Plein Foundation Fund Scholarships for LSU Ag Students
BATON ROUGE, La. – Monsanto and the Thomas A. Plein Foundation are helping support students in the LSU College of Agriculture by establishing two new scholarships.
The Monsanto scholarship will benefit students studying in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness or the School of Plant, Environmental and Soil Sciences. The Plein Foundation scholarship established by the Thomas A. Plein Foundation will benefit a student in the School of Renewable Natural Resources.
More information about these scholarships is available from the LSU Agcenter News page
-- Quick News --
- 1st Quarter 2015 Timber Tales is now available. The details and a link to the newsletter are available on our Extensions page.
- RNR students participated in the 58th Southern Forestry Conclave hosted by Mississippi State University. The Team from RNR did well and the photos are posted on our Gallery page! Congratulations on a job well done!
- Arborist Workshops 2015: The early 2015 schedule for Arborist Workshops and other learning opportunities has been updated, and registrations are open. For more information, see our Workshops page.
- The Student Chapter of Society of American Foresters (SAF) has a new way to keep you informed, share their news and events, and keep in touch: They now have a Facebook page. LIKE their page, and keep up with all the latest! Support your local (student) Foresters!
- Follow Dr. Stouffer on sabbatical as a Fulbright Scholar in Tanzania: via his Flickr Feed
This is our office!
What does yours look like?
Check out our new video that shows why the School of Renewable Natural Resources is the place to be!